Snyder Wedding Count Down

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Books

So we all know how much I love books... I am usually in the middle of at least 2-3 books at a time. One at work and at the gym, one at home, one in my purse. I can switch back and forth between them. Jason once asked me how I keep up with them all but really it is like watching a tv program and just breaking for commercial. Sometimes I will come across some books that are soo good that I literally can not put them down and have to finish it and any accompanying books they come with (example - Twilight series....thank you very much Deborah!!!!) I guess I really never knew how much I read...well I know I read a lot but I didn't know what a staple it was with me until the other day...
Juliet was walking around the house and kept bringing me books...not hers to read to her but ones that I read. They where all ones that I have already read and just haven't put them in the 'already read' box (ya, that should have been my first clue I have boxes of books I have read and ones I have not....Boxes!) so anyway, I can't understand why she is bringing me these books. I politely say 'thank you baby' and put them aside....but she keeps on coming. It finally clicks with me after about the 5th book she brings me and I put aside, she looks at me and says ' you don't need a book mommy? '. I hadn't had a book with me. Not on my lap, or on the couch with me, or in my purse and I guess usually when I am done with my chores and she is playing either in her room or coloring in the living room...I have a book. So much so that she found it very out of the ordinary that I did not have a book, that I would actually sit down for five minutes without a book in my hands or in reaching distance ready to read....now this can be good or bad. I am sure that when she does want my attention I put my book aside and talk to her, but does she not talk to me as much because of it? She is a big reader too and will stay up well past her bed time 'reading' her books....I thought this a good thing...but when she is actually able to know what she is reading, will she become obsessed and miss out on life. I don't' think it will be that bad since she likes other hobbies as well...but it put the thought in my mind.

Kids are so perceptive and it is interesting what they teach us about ourselves. I am apparently addicted to reading.....really I think it is an addiction with me. I can not, not read! In fact the day she was giving me all those books I was contemplating driving to work to get the book I had left there or just re-read one. Well she showed me how obsessed I am and I hope it doesn't have to much of a negative impact on her. And now she is aware of it she still makes sure I have a book in my purse or with me. I wonder what she will think when she gets to know her friends parents and their moms don't always have a book with them. will she think them weird or me? who knows.... but it will be interesting to watch and see.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I think that's a good wake-up call for all of us. Hopefully she'll find a well rounded balance between her hobbies and other parts of her life. That's the hard part, isn't it? When does too much of a good thing become a bad thing? I used to skip class just so I could stay in my apartment and play the piano. Playing piano: good thing. Skipping class to play piano: bad thing.